It’s that magical time of year, no not Christmas and the holiday season. The January Transfer Window is vastly approaching. I have done a little digging around and have compiled a list of potential transfer targets (according to the media). Would like to use this as a sounding board for your thoughts on these players, how could they impact the second half of this campaign and are they good targets for our needs. Regardless of King Kenny’s recent comments regarding the need for a striker in the window I think that position and DMF are the immediate needs. Please feel free to add targets in your comments and how they would compliment our current squad. I am also interested to see if there are any potential current squad members that you feel are on their way out.
Defensive MF – as I feel this is the most immediate need let’s start with the current crop of candidates
- Leroy Fer – Youngster at FC Twente, big kid maybe not an immediate impact but could be Lucas successor
- Seydou Keita – Barca vet, can play DMF or central MF. 31 years old but could provide experience and immediate impact. Could be viewed as surplus to requirements at Barca.
- Sandro – plays for Tottenham, signed a 5 year contract in September, I doubt this move is likely and Tottenham would likely want too much $ for him.
- Lassana Diarra – plays for Real Madrid, has apparently been on the block since last year. Played for Chelsea and Arsenal. Could provide immediate impact.
- Fernando – Plays for FC Porto, young player not sure Porto would part with him, even so would they part with him for the right price?
Striker – Andy is not working in our current system, and he lacks the wingers to effectively feed him the ball. We have all discussed these issues ad nauseum so let’s see who is available.
- Hugo Rodallega – Columbian who plays for Wigan, Martinez has already called off the potential suitors. Fairly young, can also play a winger. Versatile and could fit well into the pass and move system. Would likely have to overpay for his services.
- Eduardo Vargas – young and plays for Universidad de Chile, would probably fit into our young talent scheme, but can he provide an impact immediately, jury is still out on that.
- David Villa – obviously this will not happen, but FSG would have not even bid on him had he not been injured.
- Fernando Torres – not gonna happen, even though I think AVB infact does want to sell him, he is past his prime and does not fit the FSG mold.
- Higuan – “El Pipita”, not getting time at Real Madrid because of Benzima etc. I would love to see him transfer but does he want to play for LFC, a team who has proven our need for him these first few months but we are not in any European competitions. He would get a LOT of playing time. Would love to see the partnership with Luis. How much cash does Real want is the question.
Mid Fielders – we are ok here, oh wait we lost Aqua and Raul, Stevie is injured and Hendo is not ready to be a star, and Charlie Hollywood is in a new system (although he is improving). We always have Maxi and Dirk!!!!
· Eden Hazard – 3 words: Not gonna happen.
· Lucas – attacking MF plays for Sao Paulo. Kid is young and can apparently play. Fits FSG mold but again can he provide an instant spark? I think he could partner well with Luis
· Adam Johnson – see Eden Hazard
· Gaston Ramirez – he is kind of a hybrid of striker but can play MF. Would be an excellent addition, young Uruguayan and is doing well at Bologna.
Defenders – I think we are ok here and will not pick up anyone unless a bargain is available.
UPDATE: Reading a lot of reputable Twitter updates regarding Gaston Ramirez, apparently LFC has been in contact with his agent and scouting him heavily.
Add Diego Perotti (Sevilla Winger) to the list according to TalkSport.com if Sevilla need the cash
Add Rory Donnelly to the list also Cliftonville Striker 19 years old
Add Shaquiri from Basel, although Fegie is also apparently high on him as he shredded the Man U defense
Many Twitter Rumors around the following players linked with LFC:
Esteban Granero - Real Madrid/Spainsh youngster who plays as an attacking MF
Luuk de Jong - FC Twente Striker
Dirk Kuyt - apparently Galatasary is showing interest to the tune of £10M
Darren Bent - Another Villa bust signing? He could be a nice addition all kidding aside.
I also hesitate to even fuel any stupid speculation but apparently we are close to making enquiries for Edison Cavani. But that means nothing right now!